Sunday, March 2, 2008

To begin...

I wish I could take credit for the title of this blog, but my cousin Lea Dowd said it first.  Lea also said (as we were commenting on all the inter-family marriages that occurred in the southern colonies/states in the 17th and 18th century), "If your own family isn't good enough for you, who is?"

I have no clue how this blog is going to develop.  I'm not witty, nor clever.  I do, however, have a passion for genealogy (and expensive shoes) and uncovering how a lot of these Southern families are inter-related.  My only advice to others interested in genealogy is to collect in-laws and in-laws of in-laws of the families you're researching -- because the chances are really, really good that you're going to find a spouse in there somewhere. My only experience has been in researching Southern families, but I have noticed that in all these 18th century Virginia families -- and in families coming out of Virginia -- they never met a cousin they didn't marry.

8 comments:

Andrea Christman said...

OMG...I am laughing so hard that tears are coming to my eyes!!! I used to be embarrassed to tell people that my parents were 4th cousins, but the "closeness" just doesn't end there! I get a headache when I try to sort out surnames in my tree. I attribute it to a small town settled by immigrants and they didn't take kindly to strangers. I am looking forward to reading your blog!

Sheri Fenley said...

I love the title of your blog! I look forward to reading more. Welcome to the world of the Genea-Bloggers. You'll never be the same again!

longshot7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randy Baker said...

According to my family tree software, I am both an 8th and 9th cousin to myself. I'm sure to some people that might seem odd, but it probably indicates less intermarriage than you'd find in many Southern families.

Janice Tracy said...

Welcome to GeneaBloggers! And yes, you do have a sense of humor. I can relate (was that a play on words?) to your cousin situation, since I have found that my own ancestors who lived in Virginia married their cousins. I will be following your blog, especially since some of my Neatherland and Garrard ancestors lived for a time in Putnam County, GA. I wish you the best with your blog!

Unknown said...

I happened upon this blog because of the title and I admit I let out a hoot when I first read it. Then I had to shake my head when I read that Andrea was embarrassed to tell people that her parents were fourth cousins. I've got you all beat - I think. My great-grandparents are double first cousins. When my nephew found this out he stopped talking to me, which only plays into the quirky family traits. When I talk to my Dad's first cousin we just laugh and laugh. And that is what you have to do here in Mississippi: Laugh much because crying makes the head ache. RLA

Roy said...

Hello
I am the great-gr grandson of Joseph Algernon Sidney Turner ( and thus your distant cousin ) It was very common for cousins to marry. I am descended form several virginia families more than once. It was also common in England for cousins to marry. Liked your photos of Turnwold. Went there a couple of times.
Roy Hill

St said...

I think it's vital for all of us "genea-nerds" have to have a great sense of humor and sense of self to learn about our collective past!!!! You have already have a fantastic voice and I look forward to following your blog!!!!